West Sinton Community
In the early days of the 20th century, the land in this area was situated within the large J. J. Welder Cattle Ranch. George Paul developed much of the local acreage and attracted settlers from many states by advertising a "homesteaders" program of land sales. The settlers cleared the mesquite and brush with the help of Mexican laborers, planting cotton and corn on their new land. In 1913 Gust Adams and his family arrived from Guadalupe County. The Adams family set aside land for a schoolhouse in 1914. Also used for worship services, the structure quickly became a social center. The area became known as both Adams School and West Sinton community.
More settlers came after the first World War. The community grew steadily in spite of such tragedies as the influenza epidemic of 1918 and 1919 and the devastating hurricane of 1919. Local cotton farmers established the West Sinton Gin Company in 1923 and built a gin nearby. In 1924 a two-story stucco school building was erected by the newly formed Adams Independent School District on this site. The community was large enough for a separate Mexican American school and a grocery store.
Neighbors enjoyed such activities as sports, community suppers, parties, and dances. The San Patricio Farm Bureau was organized here in 1936. Electric power came to the area in 1939. The Adams School closed its doors in 1943 when the students were transferred to other area schools. The schoolhouse was used for community events until 1948. It was razed in 1962.
Although the cotton gin closed in the 1980s, cotton, milo and corn remain the community's main economic focus. The Lutheran church and many local organizations continue to serve the area. (1998)
12 mi. W of Sinton on FM 630 at FM 796