San Patricio County
Spanish exploration and activity in the area dated from 1519, through 1821, when Mexico won its independence. In 1828, James McGloin and John McMullen received a Mexican land grant here, to which they brought irish colonists.
County was created in 1836; named for St. Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland. Organized in 1837, with San Patricio as county seat.
Southern boundary of the county, the Nueces River, played a major role in events leading to the war with Mexico (1846-48), including the crossing of the river by Zachary Taylor's Army, which had travelled across the county. County seat was moved to Sinton in 1893. Erected by the State of Texas - 1973
Historical Marker Location: Old courthouse grounds, FM 666, San Patricio
Source: Texas Historical Commission