First Presbyterian Church of Taft

First Presbyterian Church of Taft In the early 20th century, area Presbyterians met with other denominations in a tent, with various pastors holding morning and evening services. In 1909, the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. built a school and assembly hall, where local Presbyterians and Methodists took turns holding services. In 1918, they began meeting in the school building. Two years later, in 1920, the first Presbyterian church of Taft was officially organized with 28 charter members. The Rev. C.S. Long became the church's first minister. That same year, the Taft Presbyterian and Methodist congregations built a sanctuary together on this site, which was provided by the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. In 1922, the congregation purchased and moved a house from Rockport to serve as the Presbyterian manse and placed it on a lot adjacent to the sanctuary. The following year, the church purchased the interest of the sanctuary owned by the Methodists, and in 1924, the membership of Presbyterians from Gregory transferred to the Taft congregation. During the next several decades, members added facilities to their church property and also formed various organizations, including a women's auxiliary and men's and youth groups. The church supported regional efforts during World War II and sponsored other area churches, a Presbyterian girls' school and Vacation Bible School for children from their own congregation, as well as from the Rising Star Baptist Church. Church members also held a live nativity scene each Christmas, from 1957 to 1991, later donating the costumes and equipment to the First Baptist Church. Although the membership, along with the city population, declined in the late 20th century, the congregation continues to serve its community. (2004)


Historical Marker Location: 510 McIntyre, Taft

Source: Texas Historical Commission