Early Ingleside Schools

Early education in Ingleside began in the 1850s when settlers John P. and Susan Hatch Borden established Bay Seminary in 1854. The Borden's School was closed by 1860. Henry Nold bought land from the Bordens and opened Ingleside College in 1857. Nold expanded the curriculum and built more frame structures for at least 30 boarding students. During the Civil War the college buildings were torn down. A school in nearby Allendale was built about 1872 and was active until 1910. The Ingleside public school system began about 1900. (1997)


Historical Marker Location: Inwood Drive/CR 125 and county park Ingleside


Source: Texas Historical Commission