Bluntzer Ranch House
Early photo of Bluntzer Ranch House, home of Nicholas and Justina Bluntzer built around 1875.
The house is a story and a half. The steeply pitched roof, narrow dormers, and long, narrow front porch all seem reminiscent of Alsaction architectural elements found in the Haut Rhin region of France that was the couple's homeland. Though still standing, the house has been altered over time. However, it still retains much of its original style. It is one of the few remaining 19th century ranch house still standing in Nueces County.
In 1958 Fanny Bluntzer Nason, daughter of Nicholas and Justina, bequeathed the house and surrounding acreage to the Sisters of Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament. The Congregation has owned and maintained the property since then.
Submitted: May 10, 2003