Bluntzer Church Dedication
The beautiful church of Nicholas erected by Mrs. Justina Bluntzer, as a memorial to her husband, the late Nicholas Bluntzer, was dedicate4 last Sunday, June 27, by the Right Rev. Paud Joseph Nussbaum, C.P.D.D., Bishop of the diocese assisted by the Rev. Father Mark and Father (.1amilius, of Corpus Christi and the Rev. Fathers Puig and Catillo of San Patricio.
A vast congregation from the counties of Nueces, San Patricio, Bee, and Jim Wells assembled to hear the sermons and witness the ceremonies.
The read in front of the church for half a mile was crowded with vehicles of every description. The church filled to its utmost capacity was unable to afford even standing room for but a small portion of the vast assembly.
The building was beautifuly decorated and everything arranged in perfect order.
An eloquent and impressive sermon was delivered by the Rt. Rev. Paul Joseph Nussbaurn who is a skilled logician and an orator of rare ability.
The Rev. Father Mar, a fluent and able speaker, also preached a forcible and affecting sermon.
In the afternoon the rite of confirmation- was administered on one hundred and eleven persons.
The church furniture, every article substantially made and artistically finished, was donated by the immediate family of Mrs. Justina Bluntzer.
- The bell weighing 1000 pounds was the gift of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Gallagher.
- The candlesticks, Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Bluntzer.
- Ciborum and Sacristy Lamp, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Bluntzer.
- Chairs and needle work of exquite design and finish, Mr. and Mrs. Johm Bluntzer.
- Statues, Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Timon
- Censer and Stations of the Cross, Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Bluntzer
- Missal, Mrs. Mary Bluntzer.
- Pews, Manstrance and Candlebrae, Misses Justina and Fannie Bluntzer,
- Altar Linen, Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Galhigher.
- Chalice, Master Nicholas Bluntzer.
- Holy Water Pot donated by Mrs. Rachel Dougherty, of San Patricio, an old and valued friend of the Bluntzer family.
At the Bluntzer ranch 61 guests were entertained, and a sumptuous dinner and supper provided for each.
Mrs. Justina Bluntzer spared neither time nor money to make the church complete and perfect in every detail. She has been a resident of Nueces County for sixty years and is a lady of quiet and unassuming Manners. An humble follower of the Meek and Lowly Savior, until compelled to ill health to forego a part of her charitable work. Summers' heat or winters' cold; the storm by day or darkness of night never prevented her from visiting, comforting and assisting the sick, the needy and afflicted. Her charity is without ostentation or vain display and takes no cognizance of creed, race, or nationality. Her countless deeds of unobstructive kindness, charity and benevolence is only known to the Creator.
Corpus Christi Caller - July 1, 1913
Contributed by Theresa BAUCUM
RELECTIONS VOLUME 31 NUMBER 1 MARCH 1995 PAGE 4
The late Nicholas Bluntzer was a pioneer of Texas, having come to the Republic with his family in 1842. His father was the founder of Yorktown and Meyersville. After Bluntzer came to Nueces County and was engaged in the cattle business. In 1862 he joined the Confederate army and served until the end of the war.
From 1870 until 1880 he every year sent great herds of cattle over the trail to Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa. In his later years, he became interested in fanning and at his death had 1000 acres of river bottom land in cultivation. Mr. Bluntzer was a man of high principle, kindly heart and genial disposition. His honesty and unbending integrity was so herenall recognized that it was a common saying amongst his associates and men with whom he transacted business that if Nicholas Bluntzer gave his word neither note nor bond was needed.
The church was located on the Bluntzer property just off the west side of FM Road 666. It was located next to Professor W.G. Sutherland's home. The switchboard was in the Sutherland home and his daughter, Mabel was the operator. Prof Sutherland was the teacher of the first Bluntzer School. This was located across the road from the church (about 1 mile from the school at FM 666 and FM 624.) Prof Sutherland was also a writer for the Corpus Christi Caller.
The church was tom down in about 1939. The lumber was used to build the present church hall in San Patricio.
PICTURE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH - PAGE 5
left to right
Bottom children: Isabelle BLUNTZER (WRIGHT), Wilbur BLUNTZER, Rachel BLUNTZER (HEBERT), Justina, BLUNTZER (D'UNGER)
Second row: Theresa Bert BLUNTZER, Gus BLUNTZER, Jon GALLAGHER, W.D. BLUNTZER, NIck BLUNTZER, Justina BLUNTZER (STEVENS), Clara BLUNTZER, Vince BLUNTZER, Nick GALLAGHER, John GALLAGHER, John BLUNTZER
Back row - on- porch: Irene G. PETERS, Fannie BLUNTZER (NASON), Leo BLUNTZER, Theresa B. GALLAGHER, Justina BLUNTZER, Kate D. BLUNTZER, - , Molly M. BLUNTZER.
PICTURE IN FRONT OF THE BLUNTZER HONIE - PAGE 6 left to right Bottom: Nick BLUNTZER, Rachel BLUNTZER (FMBERT), Justine BLUNTZER (TARLETON), Paul BLUNTZER, Frank BLUNTZER, Robert BLUNTZER, Catherine BLUNTZER (D'UNGER), Ed GALLAGHER, Loertta GALLAGHER (COANS)
Middle: Theresa B. GALLAGHER, Justina BLUNTZER, Jusfina B. STEVENS, Fannie B. NASON.
Back: Cynthia BLUNTZER, Joe BLUNTZER, Molly BLUNTZER, John GALLAGHER, Irene G. PETERS, Lee BLUNTZER, Kate D. BLUNTZER, Vincent BLUNTZER, Clara BLUNTZER, John BLUNTZER